Sticky Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
2 tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 thumb sized piece root ginger
1 sweet potato per person
1. Make the marinade. Finely chop the ginger and mix with the honey, soy sauce and half of the oil. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the mixture. Season and stir thoroughly, then pour over the chicken. Cover and place in the fridge for over an hour and up to a day.
2. Remove the chicken % hour before cooking. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 180'C.
3. Cut the remaining lemon, place it inside the chicken and place the chicken in a roasting tray with the sweet potatoes around the side. Place in the oven.
4. Wash the sweet potatoes, cut into chunks and toss in the remaining oil. After the chicken has cooked for 1/2 hour, remove from the oven and place the sweet potatoes around the outside. Return to oven.
5. Cook for a further hour. The juices must run clear if cooking is completed. This is based on a medium chicken and a larger bird may require longer. Let the chicken stand, covered, for 20 minutes and keep the sweet potatoes warm.
6. Carve the chicken and serve alongside the sweet potatoes with cooking juice spooned over. Serve with a green salad or a bowl of green vegetables.