Chicken in Cider
Jane's Parish Cook Book
I made this following a recipe in an old book that I found and tweaked it a bit. It went down very well indeed.
4 chicken breasts
1 cooking apple or 2 Granny Smiths, peeled and sliced
300ml (3/4 can) cider
2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
few sprigs oregano or 1 tsp dried
3 slices wholemeal bread
4 slices mature cheddar
1 tbsp olive oil
pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 180’C/ gas 4
- Spread the apples over the bottom of a shallow, ovenproof dish.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the apples and season with salt and pepper. Pour the cider over the chicken and tuck in the onions, garlic and oregano between the pieces.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the onions are tender. Remove from the oven.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the parmesan and bread in a food processor and whiz to fine crumbs.
- Cut a slit down each breast and fill with slice of cheddar. Sprinkle the too with the bread and parmesan mixture. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is crisp.