Many of us like to mark Shrove Tuesday with pancakes. I make up a stack in advance because I can’t keep up with the demand, once the everyone starts eating them. You can make a whole meal with pancakes, savoury or sweet, so here are a few ideas. I’m sure that people have their own favourite pancake recipe but here is a basic one to start with.
·125g plain flour
·I make mine with butter although I think that it is healthier to use a little oil.
Mix the top 3 ingredients together with a balloon whisk or an electric blender. The mixture improves by being made an hour or two ahead and standing in the fridge. Melt the butter or oil in a frying pan until sizzling and pour a tablespoon of the mixture in. Swish round until it covers the pan and cook on a medium heat. When set underneath, toss or turn.
Don’t forget the favourite – lemon & caster sugar !
- Orange Cream. Mix 225g of mascarpone with zest & juice of 1 orange and 50g sugar. Spread on & roll
- Cheese and tomato: Cover rolled pancakes with tomato sauce and sprinkle generously with grated cheddar, then grill
- Sliced Banana and Nutella. Speaks for itself
- Indian Pancakes Replace the plain flour with gram (chick pea) flour & add ¼ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp cumin. Fill with roughly mashed potatoes, spring onions & chopped coriander.
- Ratatouille Pancakes. Make a ratatouille- fry an onion, then 2 courgettes in the same oil, then an aubergine until quite soft – this may need a little more oil adding, then a red pepper. Put all the ingredients back in the pan and heat with pepper and salt and a little paprika. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. This makes a lovely filling